Saturday, August 26, 2006

He lurves me!

Jason has recently decided that I am his absolute favorite person in the world. First, let me just say that I am okay with this. More than okay, even. In fact, I think it's absolutely adorable and I hope he always feels that way. Well, until he gets married. Because that "mama's boy" thing is really unattractive.

So, every morning, I hear Jason shutting off his night light and banging his door open in enthusiasm. Then I hear the little footsteps on the rug as he enters our bedroom, blue blankie in tow. He walks to my side of the bed and stands with his face within inches of mine. I open my eyes to this cute little face and a huge smile (how can someone wake up that happy every morning??). Then he climbs into bed with me, curls up with his blanket, snuggles into my arms, and makes yummy noises. So sweet!

After saying "I love you" to me in English, Spanish, sign language, and through physical demonstration ("thiiiiiiiiiiiis much!" with arms stretched as far as they can go and face turning red from the strain), he says, "Mommy, can we go downstairs now?" Well, of course! It's 5:50 a.m., so I must hurry to begin my morning of coffee-swilling and chair-sitting! As soon as my foot hits the bottom stair, a small boy is suddenly wrapped around my right leg. I determinedly drag the leg/boy into the kitchen because I NEED CAFFEINE. I have mastered the coffee-making whilst dealing with the 35-lb. growth. I just leave the offending leg outstretched and hop a bit when necessary. More yummy noises from down below. So cute!

After peeling off little arms and legs, I finally get to sit in a chair and sip my coffee. Exactly 2.4 seconds after my first sip, he asks me, "Mommy, can I sit on your lap? Please?" This is the part where my nice, hot cup of coffee begins its rapid descent into Chillville. But how can I say no to him? He's so darn CUTE! He sits on my lap and wraps my arms around him tightly and says, "Squeeze me tiiiiight!" Then I'm usually treated to a string of niceties, like "Mommy, you are my bestest girl!" or "I will ALWAYS love you!" or, simply, "I love you so-so-so, so-so-so, so-so-so (oh my God when is it going to stop?), so-so-so, so-so-so MUCH!" And still I think it's adorable! Although a bit over the top.

This lovey-dovey behavior continues throughout the day. I sit down to put his socks on, and he insists he has to walk to the other side of the room first, put two little fingers up near his head to make "horns," digs at the floor with one tiny foot, and comes charging at me full force and knocks me over in a big "Jay Hug." He brings me things, like pencils and raisins and cracker crumbs from the floor. Why? "Because I love you!" he says, and gives me a kiss on the cheek. Later, I make him lunch with him hanging on my leg. After lunch ("Mommy, you are a great cooker! These hotdogs are super-good!"), we go outside and he picks me weeds flowers, which he hands to me and says, "These are for you, Mommy! You are the bestest mommy in the whole world!" He keeps his arm around me if we're walking and must climb on my lap if I sit down. Love! It!

However, around suppertime, I'm beginning to feel a bit touched-out. Even a teeny bit claustrophobic-like. Okay, smothered. At this point, I find myself saying odd things like, "Daddy will be home soon and he will give you lots of hugs! Won't that be nice?" or "How about you sit by yourself for a little while and watch t.v. while I make supper, and then we'll sit together and read a book (maybe Chicken Licken because that's a surefire mood killer)!" And he agrees, but occasionally he will shout out something endearing in the meantime to remind me that he still, in fact, loves me. A lot! Sometimes he pops into the kitchen to "visit" and I get this: "Mommy, I will never, ever, EVER leave you!" while clinging to my apron strings waist.

And then I am frightened.

This is usually the point where I fire up the Roomba.

5 Comments:

Blogger Colleen said...

wow. That is super cute and super scary at the same time! It is cute because he loves you so much, but then scary because he may still be doing the same thing at 18 - then what are you going to do?!?!?!

I do the same thing at night when daddy is coming home. I pump them up big time in hopes that they go to daddy and leave me alone for at least 30.28 seconds.

10:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Eh, he won't be doing it when he's 18. Heck, I give it about six, maybe eight years before he won't accept hugs in public. :)

8:53 AM  
Blogger Karl said...

Ha, fire up the Roomba. Niiiice.

9:52 AM  
Blogger Twisted Cinderella said...

that is sooo sweet! I love that.

12:24 PM  
Blogger Karen said...

It's my only weapon, Karl! ;)

I know, I'm sure I will be begging for love soon enough. *sniff, sniff*

8:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home