Monday, January 29, 2007

When did I become such a wimp?

At some point during my first pregnancy, I began to cry at the drop of a hat. At the time, I blamed it on hormones, as we women tend to do. But are my hormones still out of whack seven years later? Every day of the month? Constantly?

It all started when I was driving on the highway at around five months into my first pregnancy. I heard a siren and saw an ambulance speed by, and I got all "fa-fa-fa-fuh-fuh-fuh!!!" Because someone was hurt. Possibly very badly! And it bothered me for the rest of the day. Seriously!

Then I began to notice that the littlest thing would get me all choked up. A man tripping as he's climbing up steps (he must be so embarrassed! WAAHHH!!!), a child nervously calling his mother in the store (OH! MY! GOD! What if he can't find her?! He must be so scared! WAAAHHH!!!), a cashier not saying "thank you, have a nice day" to me after handing me back my change (she doesn't care about my patronage OR the status of my day! WAAHHH!!!). You know, stuff like that.

And now? I cry when I'm sad, upset, and HAPPY. Or worried. Or touched. Or happy that I've been touched. Or worried that I won't be touched and therefore happy. Well, sometimes I cry when I'm touched, actually, but that's a whole nuther story. The point - because there is one! - is that I'm a blubbering mess about many things, many times a day. But the thing that seems to get me the most lately is my kids and their godforsaken cuteness.

For example, I brought Jason to a birthday party at Chuck E. Cheese's recently (also known as: Suck E. Prizes) (or: The Place That Makes Me Want to Stick Straws in My Ears Until I Hit Brain Matter Because Oh Dear God the NOISE). On the way in, I told Jason, "It's very crowded in there, so every once in awhile you need to look around for Mommy and wave 'hi' to me so that I know where you are, okay?" He said, "Okay, Mommy." And I thought, "That went right in one ear and out the other."

So, we go inside, and Jason finds his table of friends and begins to mingle. I start talking to one of his friend's moms, and all of a sudden I hear, "Mommy!" I look over, and there is Jason, waving his hand wildly. "Hi, Mommy!!!" So cute! And it's nice to know the boy can follow directions when he knows they're important. I tell my friend why he's waving, and she thinks it's adorable.

We continue talking, and not 30 seconds later, I hear "Hi, Mommy!" and see the little blue-eyed boy waving to me again from across the room. Well, we started CRACKING UP. I said, "Wow, is he taking this seriously or what?"

Two minutes later: "HI, MOMMY!!!" This time he's waaaay across the room where I can barely see him, frantically waving, with a big smile (because he knows he's being a good boy for doing what I say!). So now my friend and I are practically on the floor, hysterical with laughter.

Thankfully, as he got more and more occupied with playing games, the novelty wore off and he only called out to me occasionally. Because my wrist tendinitis was beginning to act up from all the waving.

And even this, as funny as I found it to be, gets me all choked up every time I think of it. Because really, how cute is he?? Why does he have to be five years old next week? WHY? Can you imagine how much I'm going to cry when I'm LOOKING BACK at these sorts of things, when my boys are teenagers and ignoring me completely?? WAAAHHHH!!!

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Such a sweet story, Karen! What a nice little boy you have.

5:01 PM  
Blogger Staci said...

I'm the same way... teary eyed a lot of the time now that I have two kids. Your boys sound really sweet.

4:04 PM  
Blogger Colleen said...

Chloe just turned 5 on Monday. I feel your pain (happiness)!! He seems SO sweet!! Oh yeah...I cry at everything too.

12:50 PM  
Blogger Twisted Cinderella said...

That is soo cute. There are times when I think of some adorable thing she is doing, or how quickly she is growing up that I get choked up about Little Princess too. The other day, she was sitting in my arms, cuddling watching a show and I was looking at her and smiling and thinking how nice this was and sweet she was when she got all embarressed and said, "Mommy why are you looking at me." She is so cute and self-conscious, it makes me smile.

btw, I also am a weepy teary-eyed mess lots of times too.

11:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home