Friday, January 12, 2007

Look out below!

Thank goodness for Jason, or else I'd have virtually nothing to blog about.

A little background: When Jason saw that the flags were at half mast at his school last week, he asked me, "Why are the flags down?" I didn't know quite how to explain it, so I did the best I could on short notice. It went sort of like this: "A President died. Not 'the' President. That we have now. It was a President from a long time ago. So they put the flags like that out of respect. For him." Jason, whispering and looking concerned, "He died??" I said, "Yes, but it's okay. He was...old." He then saw his classmates waving to him from his classroom, and all concerns about how old people tend to die disappeared. Thank GOD. I find these types of questions to be very difficult to answer without causing distress to both the child and myself. Especially myself.

Here's our exchange in the car on the way to school this morning:

Driving up to Drew's school to drop him off, Jason again sees some flags at half mast.

Jason, sounding sad: "Oh, Mommy, look. Drew's president died, too!"

Me (after laughing for a full five minutes and almost running us into a bus): "Jason, it's the same President. They put the flags like that everywhere to show respect because he was a very important man."

Jason: "He died because he was old?"

Me: "He was VERY old. I think he was something like 92 years old."

Jason: "92! That's a big measurement!"

Me: *laughing again*

Jason, very seriously: "Mommy, I think maybe someone killed him."

Me: "No. No one killed him, Jason."

Jason: "Well, why did he die?"

Me: "Like I said, he was VERY OLD."

Jason: "Mommy, you know what I think?"

Me: "What?"

Jason: "I think a coconut fell on his head."

I'm beginning to think I need to limit the cartoon viewing.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

:lol Funny Jason!

5:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh wait....that code doesn't work here....hahaha

5:33 PM  
Blogger Karen said...

You goober!

5:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

LOL too funny!

4:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's how I want to die...at 92, because a coconut dropped on my head. I'm thinking from a palm tree on the tropical island I've retired to, not from the display at the Kroger.

8:13 PM  
Blogger Karl said...

LOL. The imagination of kids just cracks me up.

11:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home