Monday, November 06, 2006

My son has expensive taste

Jason, that is. He seems to have developed a fondness for seafood. And not the run-of-the-mill fish like scrod or cod, mind you. LOBSTER. And SHRIMP. Okay, and tuna from a can and frozen fish sticks, but he always requests lobster and shrimp first. In fact, each time he visits one of his grandparents, he asks, "Are we having lobster?" Answer: "Uh, NO." Jason: "How 'bout shrimp?" Answer: "Uh...NO." Jason: "Can I have tuna?" Answer: "YES! You CAN!"

I find this to be so incredibly cute that I somehow can't help myself when we go to the grocery store and he asks me, "Mommy, can we get lobster?" with that wild-eyed look of anticipation on his face and his little hands clasped together in silent prayer. TWICE I gave in and bought the boy a lobster. And now my freezer is stocked with shrimp. Who do I think we are? We should be eating within our budget (read: Manager's Special 70% lean ground beef). Instead, my four-year-old is sitting at his little table in his little chair with a lobster in his Thomas the Tank Engine plate, asking me, "Mommy, where are the cracker things? And the little pointy things to poke the meat out?"

Last night, he ate so much shrimp cocktail that he appears to have a pinkish hue.

This is the boy who won't touch anything chocolate, doesn't like pizza, ice cream, or cake, and won't eat anything that resembles a sandwich ("I don't eat bread!").

Clearly, he has issues.

6 Comments:

Blogger Colleen said...

I am giggling. That is too cute. Maybe he should marry my daughter because apparently she has expensive tastes too...go read my blog post of the day. hehe.

11:41 AM  
Blogger Andie said...

How cute! I wish my kids would actually try lobster (though they LOVE shrimp). But at least they're happy when we go to Red Lobster... that boy is going to drive you to the poor house!

3:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I actually think this is fabulous (i mean, not on your wallet, but so few kids seem to like seafood!). And you DO live in one of the seafood capitals of the world... I have never tried lobster on Connor because we think he might be allergic to shrimp (the one time he ate any, he quickly threw it all up with no other symptoms of anything). (Did I mention we were in the car? On vacation? And it was all over his car seat? Which, trying to clean it, DH threw and broke?) Needless to say, haven't tried THAT again!

4:16 PM  
Blogger Karen said...

I don't think I remember that story, Suzanne! That's too bad, but I don't blame you for not trying again. Maybe sometime when you get his blood tested for something, you can ask them to test for an allergy to shrimp...? That's what I've done with Jason each time he has blood drawn. I have them add a list a foods that I wonder about. It's not always accurate to test for allergies that way, but at least it gives you an idea.

I think I would've thrown the carseat, too -- before I even attempted to clean it! YUCK. LOL!

4:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is adorable. I have eating issues with my daughter but they mostly include getting her to eat and getting her to eat something other than the things that your little guy doesn't like. LOL

3:47 PM  
Blogger Kat said...

oh man what til he discovers brie.

4:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home