Wednesday, August 30, 2006

We are finally members of the 21st century

So, guess what? Paul and I recently purchased a snazzy new telephone with caller I.D.! Okay, what actually happened was our 11-year-old telephone bit the big one (yet another electronic item to break down in our home), and we then had no choice but to buy a new one. And it's pretty much impossible to find a new phone without caller I.D., because apparently it's the new "thing" and all the cool kids have it.

Up until now, I had thought that the occasional "Don't you have caller I.D.?" I got from family and friends was a bit odd. No, we don't have caller I.D. And we don't have a helipad in our backyard, either. Shoot us. I mean, come on. What's the big deal about answering the phone and inquiring, "Hello?" and waiting until the person answers to find out who it is? These high-tech gadgets can be so ridiculous. And it's so rude to screen calls, anyway.

Also, I had been cursing my sister (sorry, Jan!) for years because I have to "unblock" my phone number by dialing *82 before dialing her number because "I'm sorry. The person you are trying to reach does not accept private calls." Well, I work from home and pardon ME if I don't want the technologically advanced and potentially irate people I am calling to see my phone number and call me back. Each time I call my sister, I forget to dial *82 first and I have to listen to that stupid recording and then redial. And each time, I sigh disgustedly and say..."Oh, bother!" Or something like that.

Actually, even my parents have blocked their number, because, as my mother said, "We don't like the idea of people knowing that we're calling." Um, okay. Have I mentioned that my parents also have caller I.D.? Now that's just messed up.

Anyway. Now? This is 21st Century Karen:

[brrrrrrrinnnggg!]
Walks to phone and waits...aaaaaand BINGO! Smith, John! I do NOT want to talk to John Smith! I do not know who he is! I am not answering the phone! *cackles evilly*

[brrrrrrrinnnggg!]
Walks to phone and waits...aaaaaand BINGO! It's the dentist! Probably calling to confirm an appointment! *wracks brain to remember who's due for a cleaning* Oh! "Paul! You have to answer this! It's for you!" Whew. Close call.

[brrrrrrrinnnggg!]
Walks to phone and waits...aaaaand BINGO! It's my friend, Kathy!
Me: "Hello, KATHY! HA HA! I know it's you!"
Kathy: "Are you drunk?"
Me: "HA HA! I have caller I.D. now! So I knew it was you, see? Isn't that rad? I mean, cool?"
Kathy: "Um, yeah, okay. Anyway..." *rolls eyes* (which I know because I HAVE CALLER I.D.!)

[brrrrrrrinnnggg!]
Walks to phone and waits...aaaaand... What the...? Private caller?! So how do I know who it is? Who is this JERK with the blocked number??

[opts to answer phone the old-fashioned way to see who the hell is calling]
"Oh...hi, Mom!"

Well. She had better get used to dialing *82 before my number because today I'm calling the phone company to have private callers blocked.

Thought I wouldn't find a way to get back at you for not letting me do the overnight skate at Roll On America in 1982, Mom, didn't you? Hmph.

6 Comments:

Blogger Twisted Cinderella said...

Congrats on the new phone! isn't caller id wonderful?

9:10 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We got it right after Connor was born and immediately I couldn't imagine living without it.

(Love it re: the mom, btw. Does she read your blog?)

9:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Too funny! I adore caller ID. I don't have to talk to anyone I don't want to, and I can hand the phone off to my DH when his family calls.

10:18 AM  
Blogger Karen said...

Suzanne, she doesn't because my parents aren't very computer savvy. But I'll print this one out for her, being the nice daughter that I am. ;)

10:19 AM  
Blogger Colleen said...

Welcome to the 21st century! Hope you like your stay.

12:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We have caller ID but now our phone in on the fritz and the little screen is going out and now I can't read all the numbers. I can't make out bits and pieces but I need the number I have to go find a pen and pad. *Sigh*

1:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home