Tuesday, August 15, 2006

I have the uglies.

Does this ever happen to you? You go to bed looking like yourself and you wake up seven hours later looking like you've spent many grueling years working on the plantation in the hot sun? Well, that's what happened to me yesterday. I shuffled into the bathroom, caught a glimpse of myself in the mirror, and screamed in horror. GAAAAAHHHHH!!! Where did those bags come from? Who drew those lines around my eyes and mouth?? And my hair is another story. It's been thinning and drooping for days now. Limp and lifeless. Blah, bland, flat. And I bet it would be really gray if not for the fact that it has instead turned an attractive blondish-brown over the years. (I know! I've been lucky!)

So, does this happen to anyone else? The overnight aging thing? No? Just me? I think it's stress related. Whenever I go through a period of time when I'm really anxious or upset about something, it seems to mess up my face and I can't stand to look at myself. And then, when the anxiety eases, I wake up one day and POOF! I look like myself again! (Read: the bags and lines are slightly a lot less noticeable.) And my hair is once again bouncy and lively. (And even blonder, I think!)

But then there are days when I'm happy and anxiety-free and something different happens.



They say you begin to look like the people you live with, but this is ridiculous.

So, this is my little family at a farm we visited this past weekend. The boys had lots of fun petting the animals, riding the ponies, and playing in the sprinkler park. Then, obviously we lost our minds from all of the outrageous FUN, and we painted beards on everyone's face (okay, not Paul's) and made total asses out of ourselves by asking a random person to take our picture. The woman didn't say much. She just gave us a quizzical look, took the picture, and handed the camera back. Clearly she has no sense of humor whatsoever. Or maybe she just doesn't like bearded folk.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

*I* love the picture!!

9:22 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You should have a beard more often! I'll bet no one would see those peskly lines on your face. :-)

12:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

LOL Mandy!

I have those days too. EVERYDAY!

12:33 PM  
Blogger Karen said...

I know, Mandy, men are lucky that they can grow hair to cover the imperfections.

Jana, I seriously doubt it!

12:57 PM  
Blogger saussie said...

Welcome to my world! You never feel any older, you're still that boisterous 18 year old, then wham! You look in the mirror - oh that lying cow!

Perhaps this is the reason we only have one mirror in the house. I just wish I didn't need it to do my hair and floss my teeth!

7:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home